Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clarence Clemons Sweet Dreams

photographed for Elle Magazine - karen kuehn

“Clarence lived a wonderful life,” Bruce Springsteen said in a statement last night. “He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage.”

Clarence lived large, never a dull moment. In the 80s I met him for a magazine shoot, Elle Magazine. He showed up at my NYC loft horn in hand and some wild outfits....leather suits and animal prints. I was had just arrived from being a Montana NPS Ranger in Glacier. I had never met anyone like Clarence. He was BIG, "The Big Man" .

He embraced my Spirit open arms and with such ease a sweet friendship began with dinners out and frequenting my local pub; The Raccoon Lodge down stairs from my Warren street loft.
Everyone loved seeing Clarence in my hood. I brought many a notable entertainer into that bar for a drink of to shoot some pool. Clarence knew how to have a very good time.
I didn't really know who half the people were I was assigned to shoot and I was not star stuck by any of them accept James Taylor when he showed up at Saturday Night Live.

Clarence got that I wasn't a groupie or could care less...we just liked to laugh and he was such a flirt with the girlie's. He said I was not like the other city folks...I had something compelling!What I will never know but I live by the seat of my pants back than and sometimes still and being present is a sure way to enjoy life rather than being a round peg in a round hole or missing that fit all together. Being open has made my life really interesting. I shared some deep talks and silly moments with this dear man. I will never forget the time you looked at me and said what do your think your room mate is doing? Micheal Biondo fashion photographer! I said well I think he's smoking your weed and blowing your horn right now! I will never forget his look of terror at that moment....Really?
I loved kidding him for a rise...all the time...He was one of a kind with a "Hungry Heart"

God Rest Your Soul Clarence

You made my life richer.


No comments:

Post a Comment