Thursday, February 2, 2012

Gnarly

Some Trees I Know
Do do do looking out my back door!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNczeP33Yk0 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottonwood 
Cottonwoods are fast growing and short lived, 80 as an average!
They run the stretch of the Rio Grande River.
Growing like weeds an easy tree to start.
The do need water so their roots reach far and wide to grab hold.
Native and home to many, raccoons, blackbirds, hawks eagles (bald), herons and neighboring peacocks are just a few you might spy with your eye.
The Cottonwood tree, definitely a "looker" with it's shades of grays are easy on the eyes.
They feel old and full of energy as they reach for the sky!
Unpredictable, their limbs can snap to the ground in a sudden thumb.
Don't plant them near the house.
When we have campfires I always think I'm going to place some sort of alien dolls in some of the trees to add a little levity and silly edge to those nights under the New Mexican night sky. Create memories that maybe my son will recreate later for his family one day.
 Just another thing to do when the time is right!
Our farm is a place where folks leave and want to return for the experiences here are vital and unforgettable for most!
Us too we love our guest and always they love our trees.
The Cottonwood trees and the Sand Hill Cranes are the two things that
make winter in New Mexico awe inspiring.

THE CRANE FAMILY
A crane couple were doing the mating dance as I was driving by 1/6/12, 
 I interrupted them for a photo and they waiting patiently for me to depart.
Sunrise and Sunsets the Cranes Grace my property during the Winter
In the fall as the leave change its for me a time of melancholy, I love the heat, the blue Sky's and warmth of this State.  As I say goodbye to summer and Indian summer I can now say hello to the cranes, the geese and other migratory birds that come to winter here in NM.
When I purchased my property I had no idea what a huge blessing these regal birds would create on my heart.  They arrive in a trickle that multiplies into flockage in our farm fields.
  The cranes make a difference upon one's heart. They have a very uplifting affect. Wingspans 6ft are not uncommon. When you watch them often it feels cinematic and time slips by for they can be mesmerizing to the observer.
They talk a lot.
Cranes Talking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl2DW556NmA
Cranes Mating Dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzEl9QwuCc&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Sunrise and sunsets the cranes fly overhead cackling...I've learned to find the poetry in the winter season because of this incredible bird.
I always feel some sort of Japanese inspired thoughts when watching them hop and take flight in the fields, tail feathers so delicate that whisper as they land in slow motion I will be forever thankful for their elegant presence has graced my life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandhill_Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment